Thursday, March 8, 2012

The last month....

 Well, a lot has happened since we told our family and close friends that we were pregnant! Everyone we told was so excited for us to be pregnant! I'm so glad we told everyone around my birthday, it was the perfect timing.

Only a few people from work knew (3, 2 close friends and my sister in law), so I kept it quiet for some time longer. I didn't want anything to happen as we were still early in the first trimester.
Then 2/20 (President's Day Holiday), Brian and I had our first sonogram of the baby...

We arrive at Fertility Care, excited and anticipating what would happen. I was quite hesitant, because the night previous to our appointment I felt like I had miscarried. I just had this weird feeling...Well, the weird feeling was not correct. Prayerfully and Thankfully.

Dr. Trolice walked in, mind you the past month we've only been working with his nurse, thinking we were still only checking follicle size. As soon as he put the ultrasound wand into me he went, "Oh, never mind, you have a baby in there. Two babies." We said WHAT?!! And yup, he proved it right there. Two babies. Look at our first sonogram from the joyous occasion!

Baby A measured at 9mm and Baby B measured at 10mm. Both heart beats were beautiful at 144 bpm.

Immediately after our ultrasound and talk with the nurse, we called family. We were so excited to tell everyone that not only is there a grandbaby but there are GRANDBABIES! Everyone was so excited for us. We were still in shock up until about 8pm that evening. Then we were like, okay, ya, there's two. We told all of our friends who we told in person again that there were now two. We didn't want them finding out through the grapevine.

Then about a few days later we told facebook, with this picture:


We were also excited to tell my coworkers. Boy did that rumor-mill go around fast . I'm pretty sure 98% of the school knows, luckily I don't think the students do yet. I mean, I walk around with a barf bag, but haven't thrown up in front a student yet. LOL.

So these past few weeks have been an adjustment. I talked to an old coworker who had twins around my 7 weeks. Got some great advice and tips from her. Well, her story, she had uncontrollable morning sickness and had to take time off from work for it...Well up until that point I just had been nausea just never thrown up. The next morning, the start of my throwing up morning sickness. :(

I was fine with it, I knew the twins were growing then.

My symptoms from week 8 til now, morning sickness, tired, hungry every hour!! It's uncontrollable hunger!

Well, now I'm almost 10 weeks and since the Fertility doctor said we had graduated to our OB, we scheduled an appointment.

We had my appointment today at 1:40. :) We went into the ultrasound room and the ultrasound tech asked when my last missed period was. I told her I didn't know. She kind of hesitated and said how did I know an expected delivery date. I told her we did a medicated cycle. She was very confused because she was like well then you didn't do IUI or IVF so you wouldn't know. And I said, yes, we had a medicated cycle with timed intercourse. The Fertility clinic told us they expect conception to be the Saturday or Sunday in January, after our Ovidrel shot. She kept quiet and didn't question our EDD of October 7th.

Then she did our ultrasound. She confirmed there are still two growing babies in there :) Yay. She said we were about right on track with our due date, a little earlier. My app says I would be around 9 weeks 5 days, the babies measured between 9 weeks 3-4 days (one baby 3 days, another baby 4 days).

Then, the most adorable thing happened while were just watching the babies in my belly. Baby B started flipping around his hands and legs. It was like "it" was waving and putting a show on for us. It made my heart melt. I was like, what, it's alive, it's moving! LOL. Baby A had been quite still.  Then one last time, she went to Baby A for a few seconds...And Baby A joined it's sibling and started doing a little wave. My heart just fell deeper into love with these two beings. I think I LOVED that so much more than hearing the heartbeat. Just to see that they are not a blob being formed, or too small to do anything. They were moving for us!! Ahh, I wish we had it on tape!

 Brian and I agreed that we are SO glad we bought a 4-D sonogram that is taped and played to music. Because that little moment when they danced for us was just perfect. So to have an opportunity to see them when they're bigger dancing like that. Ahh, can't wait for it!!

Here's a picture of our sonogram today:

Baby A measures around 2.5cm and its heartbeat is 180 bpm. Baby B measures around 2.83cm and its heartbeat is 186 bpm. Still going great!!

Onto our next part of the OB appointment:
          The nurse, Gaye, then saw us after our ultrasound. She said "well..." and both of us were just happy. Not like jumping for joy we just found out we were pregnant or anything, just yay everything's going well. So I told her, "Yup, we're pregnant." She congratulated us and then I said, "It's twins." She gave us a big hug and was like "Obviously you guys knew because you aren't shocked or anything." We said nope, we knew from a few weeks ago and we're just glad that the babies are doing great.
  She gave us a few do's and don't's of pregnancy. She said my schedule may be a little different than a normal pregnancy, but primarily the same. She took my blood pressure (I presume normal, she didn't say anything). I got on the scale. It was actually about 16 pounds less than when I weighed myself at school in January. It's not a bad thing, because this will be my initial weigh and from now on they want to see weight gain. We got our welcome bag and a few more tips about what the next 8 months will look like (since I'm into my 2nd month now).
  Then we met with Dr. Merritt. I just love her. She's so easy to talk to and straight forward. She asked if I wanted Zofran for my morning sickness. I declined it. I'm not to the point where I need it. I throw up once or twice in the morning and then I'm fine besides nausea. She did give me a prenatal-like pill that has more B vitamins in it and some ginger in it. She said it should help and to take that for 2 weeks (and stop my prenatals until I'm finished with it). Also, if it wasn't working, she said, I should stop taking it. I can do that. :)

   And with that, we left. It was good. We were happy with everything. We go on Tuesday to discuss genetics of our family (which there is no problems). Then my next appointment is April 3rd. I'll be just about over my 1st trimester hump and in week 13.

The one decision we have to make is if we want to do a genetics screening. Now, that is different than an amnio. They don't see it necessary for that, but it was up to us for a genetics screening. We are still deciding, but of course, no matter what, we'd never terminate the pregnancy. SO, if you're pregnant and reading this:did you do a first trimester genetic screening? Let me know!

I should be 37 weeks around September 15th. I'm hoping to go that long, since a bulk of my pregnancy will be in the summer. Hence, I will be able to just relax and lay in bed from like week 20-week 32 or something like that! :)

Hopefully, I'll be posting more. I promise I'll try!

<3 -The Family of Four

P.S. The babies are the size of green olives! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

© The Quigley's Quest | Blogger Template by Enny Law